Disclaimer

I am not responsible if your devices send you back in time, explodes, implodes, bricks or flies into space from the use of any software I put up.

Search

Friday, November 28, 2014

OpenWRT Barrier Breaker December Release 2014

Yet another Edit:
The performance regression on Barrier Breaker has been solved.
This was due to removal of the Routing Cache in the Linux Kernel.
The routing cache has been added back as a patch and I have included it in the December Release.
Please refer to the new results below for more information.

Edit:
The issue has been resolved, the bug only occurs in Kernel Version 3.10.61, it does not happen on 3.10.60 so I reverted the December release to 3.10.60.
All my December Release has been updated and I have tested no latency issues. Fix will be final.

Released Tweaked OpenWRT Barrier Breaker for December
Patch Build Scripts available for
Download Links
(Factory for conversion from factory to OpenWRT)
(Sysupgrade from OpenWRT to newer OpenWRT)
Performance Baseline
Wifi Test conducted with a 2 Stream Wireless Client Adapter (300Mbps) using WPA2-Personal with AES Encryption
OpenWRT does not have hardware NAT capabilities at time of writing.
The WDR4300v1 Tested is Overclocked @ 740MHZ Stable, original units are Clocked at 560MHZ
The WR1043NDv1 tested is Overclocked @ 430MHZ Stable, original units are Clocked at 400MHZ

TL-WDR4300 2.4GHZ LAN TO WAN
(Force 40MHZ Near NO ROUTING CACHE)


TL-WDR4300 2.4GHZ LAN TO WAN
(Force 40MHZ Near WITH ROUTING CACHE)

TL-WDR4300 5GHZ LAN TO WAN
(Force 40MHZ Near NO ROUTING CACHE)


TL-WDR4300 5GHZ LAN TO WAN
(Force 40MHZ Near WITH ROUTING CACHE)


TL-WDR4300 NAT LAN TO WAN NO ROUTING CACHE


Now the most amazing result! 
TL-WDR4300 NAT LAN TO WAN WITH ROUTING CACHE Almost 500Mbps!


TL-WR1043ND 2.4GHZ LAN TO WAN
(Force 40MHZ Near NO ROUTING CACHE)
Lower WiFi performance is due to MIPS24K lower performance in AES encryption


TL-WR1043ND 2.4GHZ LAN TO WAN
(Force 40MHZ Near WITH ROUTING CACHE)
Lower WiFi performance is due to MIPS24K lower performance in AES encryption


TL-WR1043ND NAT LAN TO WAN NO ROUTING CACHE


TL-WR1043ND NAT LAN TO WAN WITH ROUTING CACHE


Change Summary:
-Added QCA Patches from their SDK
-Use Fast Math for hostapd-wpad
-Update to latest Kernel for 3.10 branch to 3.10.61
-Rename Repository to processor arch instead of Router Model
-Add additional CFLAGS
-Switch AutoLoad to AutoProbe
-Increase Kernel HZ from 100 to 250HZ like CeroWRT
-Enabled Routing Cache for performance

For exact changes please refer to the github source repository.

10 comments:

Dlna Media said...

The WDR4300v1 Tested is Overclocked @ 740MHZ Stable. When i install the openwrt firmware the cpu clock is on 560 MHz, how can i clock the cpu in 740 MHz?

Chris said...

The 1043NDv1 didn't work for me at all.
Painfully slow to even get into Telnet and SSH. I also experienced multiple reboots and LuCi was broken.

I flashed this with sysupgrade -n and thankfully could manage to get back to your 12.09 release.

HL Tay said...

I second what Chris had said.
I was waiting for someone to report that. I thought only I have such issue.
I have a 1043nd v1 as well.
I remembered testing all BB releases (no overclock), but none of them are working for me. (The AA releases are fine)
The Luci interface is totally unresponsive for me, it will hang and restart by itself. I could transfer image file via scp, but it won't finish. The router will restart by itself.
Hoping admin able to assist/troubleshoot the issue. Thank you.

Admin said...

Could it be running out of Memory?
Because I am posting right now running my WR1043NDv1 and it is totally fast and stable and the only difference I can think of is mine WR1043NDv1 has 64MB of RAM instead of 32MB.
So if I post a build of no ZRAM can you test if it works?
If it works I will modify ZRAM to use even less RAM or I might even drop ZRAM completely.

Admin said...

Ok I have dropped ZRAM as of now.
Let me know how it goes.
ZRAM might only be useful when the plan to use it as /tmp is started, for now it just hogs memory.

Admin said...

@HL Tay
Disable ZRAM and do sysctl -w vm.drop_caches=1 to free up memory then upload the images and do sysupgrade -n

HL Tay said...

Admin, I have just flashed your image over the stock firmware. Your build is working fine now.
I could navigate luci without any problem. I could setup the router successfully now. Thank you.

Admin said...

No problem so it was the RAM afterall.
If you have a high speed internet subscription WR1043NDv1 using this firmware should get you around 300Mbps on Wire LAN to WAN.

Vincenzo said...

Hello Admin

A Guy of the Gargoyle Forum linked to your page. I think you would be a great help for the Gargoyle Comunity to help improve the firmware. Please visit the Gargoyle forum and post something here: http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6436
Talk to Eric or Ispy etc..

Vlad Theodor said...

IPv6 working but no internet for external sites. Just for a few local internet web-sites. TL-WR1043ND v1