First select to boot in IDE mode by selecting IDE in BIOS
After completing the install
Do the following
- Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
- If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
- In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
- On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
This only applies when you are reformatting your computer from scratch from a Vista Install CD
If you are doing image recovery the above is already completed
From Microsoft Help & Support