When it is cheap but lousy, again it is a waste of money.
So usually I will only do a review if the product is a worthy and value for money.
And the Lenovo G40-30 is no exception.
The Lenovo G40-30 is actually the lowest speced SKU of the Lenovo G40 Series of laptop but it is really something special due to the choice of components.
Read on and you will find out why.
I no longer use laptops for heavy processing as the heat destroys it easily, heavy lifting is done on the Desktop and laptops are for lighter workloads which makes this laptop really ideal.
I got it from a website at SGD $369 dollar which is really cheap for a 14" inch laptop.
The base specification is as follows
- Intel Celeron Quad Core N2940 @ 1.83GHZ
- 2GB DDR3 RAM Low Voltage Module
- 500GB 2.5" HDD
- Wireless B/G/N Module
- 1000Mbps Ethernet Port
- USB 3.0
When I disassemble the laptop that is when I found some surprises.
First the BIOS access button is not activated by keyboard combinations
The BIOS access button is activate by a small button just beside the Power Connector
There is no metal fins as usually found just behind the exhaust grills
After opening it up
A few things to note
- It uses the Next Generation Form Factor Wifi Card Slot
- The heatsink assembly HAS NO FAN
- It has only a Single DRAM Slots for RAM Upgrades
- Left and Right Speaker is located far far away from Heatsink
HeatSink Assembly Closeup
RAM Slot Closeup
Wifi Card Closeup
Booting the System
The reason why it can be so cheap is revealed here
It comes with a Windows 8.1 Edition called: Single Language with Bing
It is a feature stripped down version of Windows 8.1 with additional features like Hyper-V missing.
It has 4 CPU Cores running at 1.83GHZ
It has Virtualisation (Intel VT-X) which can be enabled in the BIOS.
L1 Cache 224KB and L2 Cache 2.0MB.
It uses a special version of Intel AHCI Controller Driver for Celeron Processors
It uses Conexant High Definition Audio
It uses a Elantech Based Touchpad (Not shown in the photo)
The Atheros AR956x is a Single Stream 1TX, 1RX Wireless N Capable Wifi Module capable of negotiating up to 150Mbps only, it is known in the Market as QCNFA335.
The Bluetooth function is provided by the Wireless Module
It has a USB 3.0 Capability.
It has a Realtek Gigabit Lan Port
Even without a fan in the heatsink, temperatures look fine
Temperatures after running Intel Burn Test (Temperatures held stable at 65 degrees without any Fan pretty good I must say)
More detailed Information about the Processor
It is a Bay Trail M CPU, it is a Intel Atom derived Processor
So it does not have those new fancy AES-NI Instruction Set Capabilities.
Let look at the memory modules
Look carefully it uses a Low Voltage DDR3L DRAM, it is a 1.35V module if you slot in a standard 1.5V module it will not boot.
A little excursion on the grey side ...
Guys who recognize the picture below knows what this means...
After some modding:
- It is really really cheap
- It has really really long battery life due to Low Power Processor and DRAM
- It is really really quiet, no fan no sound, no moving parts
- It has Gigabit LAN port for a really really low price, some even more expensive laptops have only Fast Ethernet LAN
- It looks quite elegant and decent
- You can pass it off as its more powerful G40-Series higher end brothers.
- Powerful Speakers that are faraway from heatsink is a good design
- I typed and completed this review using only 20% of batterylife
Windows 8.1 Single Language with Bing, a crippled Windows Edition Wireless Adapter only 150Mbps capable
- But hey seriously it is SGD $365 for the specs it is really really awesome
- Upgrade Harddisk Drive to SSD
- Upgrade RAM to 8GB (Remember to get Low Voltage DDR3L RAM modules only)
- Upgrade Wifi Card (Remember WiFi Card Slot accepts only Next Generation Form Factor (NGFF)
- Reformat and install a non-crippled OS